What is Shellac ?
Shellac is refined lac made by converting raw Seedlac into shellac by mixing in alcohol based solvent.
USES OF SHELLAC AND DE-WAXED (REMOVING WAX) SHELLAC
(1) Shellac is used for chocolate coating
(2) Shellac is used for coating pharmaceutical tablets.
(3) Shellac is used in dental plate applications
(4) It is used in wood finishing and furniture polishing, guitars and pianos.
(5) De-waxed Shellac is used as a wood conditioner when you are staining woods prone to blotching -- e.g. cherry, birch,
maple, and pine coating
(6) Water based finishes will raise the wood grain, which you can avoid entirely by first sealing the surface with
the dewaxed shellac.
INDUSTRIES WHERE SHELLAC / DE-WAXED SHELLAC ARE
1) It is used in furniture industry as wood finishing and wood polishing
2) It is used in Printing Ink industry.
3) Shellac is used in manufacture of insulating varnishes in Electrical industry.
4) It is used in Leather and Footwear industry. Even Shoe Polish can be made from Shellac Wax.
5) Shellac is used in cosmetic industry in hair spray and hair lacquer industry.
6) Shellac is used in confectionary industries, pharmaceuticals and fruit as coating.
7) It is used in paper varnishing industry.
8) It is used in rubber industry, paint industry and automobile industry (gasket cement).